The Cowles Center is pleased to announce the 2017 round of the McKnight Fellowships for Choreographers. The fellowship program is designed to award Minnesota choreographers whose work is of exceptional artistic merit, who have created a substantial body of work over a period of time, and who are at a career stage that is beyond emerging. The intent of this program is to enrich and strengthen our community by acknowledging the accomplishments of individual choreographers and providing for their artistic growth. The McKnight Fellowships for Choreographers annually awards three fellowships of $25,000 each to Minnesota choreographers.
Support for individual artists has been a cornerstone of The McKnight Foundation’s Arts program since it began in 1981. The foundation recognizes that the arts cannot flourish or enhance community life without the ideas, energy, and drive of individual artists and that artists cannot make these contributions without unfettered creative time.
- Individual choreographers, choreographers working with incorporated companies, and choreographic collaborations are eligible to apply.
- A choreographer whose principal body of work has been created in collaboration is not able to apply as an individual unless s/he has a significant body of independent work in her/his recent career. Work samples and resume should clearly support this.
- Applicants must have been continuous residents of Minnesota for at least one year prior to application and have produced choreography while living in Minnesota.
- Fellows must remain in residence during the fellowship year or forfeit the award.
- Applicants must have created a substantial body of work in their careers to date.
- Full-time students are not eligible.
- Recipients of 2014, 2015 and 2016 McKnight Fellowships in any discipline are not eligible.
- Artists may apply to only one of the 10 McKnight Fellowship programs in a given year.
- For applicants who previously received a McKnight Fellowship in any discipline, the panel will look for continued outstanding work since the past award. Work samples may only include work created since the last award.
- To be eligible to reapply, prior fellowship recipients must have completed all required final reports and project reports and must have completed all requirements for fellowship-related funds prior to the Intent to Apply deadline (National residencies, SOLO, etc.) or forfeit the funds.
- Cowles Center staff and immediate family are not eligible.
- Fellowship staff from any McKnight Artist Fellowship programs are not eligible.
- Staff and board of The McKnight Foundation are not eligible, as well as immediate family members of foundation arts program staff.
- The intent of this program is to award artists who live and work in Minnesota, have made a significant artistic contribution to this community, and who will continue their artistic growth in Minnesota.
How to Apply:
You can sign up through the given link to be applying for the McKnight Fellowships for Choreographers: https://mcknightdancechoreo.slideroom.com/#/login/register
- Artist Statement (7,000 character limit including spaces, approx 2 pages)
- Work Samples (1 video uploaded to Vimeo site, 3 minimum excerpts, 20 minutes max)
- Work Sample Description fields for each excerpt (all fields under 1000 characters including spaces)
- Resume (max 2 pages, submitted as a PDF)
- 1 Press Photo (max 3 MB, .jpg format) not for panel use
- Press Bio (max 250 words, submitted as a .PDF) not for panel use
Financial Aid and Award Money:
Three unrestricted fellowships of $25,000 will be awarded.
Final application deadline is Wednesday, April 5, 2017, at 3:00 pm CST.
For More Information visit the link below:
| ”If you have questions about the content of your application (artist statement, resume, work sample), contact us at McKFell-at-thecowlescenter.org. ” |