The African Diaspora Biotech Summit pleased to announce their inaugural African Diaspora Biotech Summit 2017, which will take place at the University of Cambridge, UK on Tuesday, 4th April 2017.
About the Award: The African Diaspora Biotech Summit 2017 is a flagship initiative of JR Biotek Foundation. It was developed to inspire early-career life science and biotech professionals (including research scientists, innovators, entrepreneurs, policy experts, and present and future bio-industry leaders) from Africa and the diaspora to help find practical solutions that will contribute to Africa’s sustainable development.
The Summit will bring together, 70 students and early-/mid-career life science and biotech professionals (including research scientists, entrepreneurs, policy experts, and bio-industry leaders) from Africa and the diaspora to discuss the current state of Africa’s biotech industry. Our goal is to create a unique platform for Africa’s future leaders and key stakeholders, especially those in the diaspora, to better understand the challenges and opportunities in Africa’s biotech and life science sector, and how they may be involved in finding practical solutions that will help build the continent’s bioeconomy.
The Summit will include panel-led discussions and keynote addresses, which will set the stage for discussions about the urgent need to strengthen biotech and bioscience education, training and capacity building; research innovation, and biotech commercialization in Africa.
Type: Events and Conferences
- 7th January 2017: Summit application opens
- 28th February 2017: Application closes
- 7th March 2017: Selected candidates informed
Eligible Countries: African countries
To be taken at (country): University of Cambridge, UK
Field of Discourse: Four major areas to be discussed at the Summit are;
- Improving agricultural productivity and food security in sub-Saharan Africa between now and 2050
- Reforming Africa’s tertiary education system to make it globally competitive.
- Policy development and implementation to facilitate sustainable development in African nations
- The role and contribution of the African diaspora in developing Africa’s bioeconomy
Eligibility: The Summit is for early- and mid-career biotech and life sciences professionals, including research scientists, post-doctoral researchers, academics, biotech entrepreneurs, innovators, policy experts, and graduate students from Africa and the diaspora to join us at our inaugural African Diaspora Biotech Summit 2017. Selected applicants should demonstrate;
- Strong intellectual ability, capacity for leadership, and a commitment to help countries in Africa achieve sustainable development through biotech and life science education and capacity building, research innovation, and commercialization;
- Their knowledge of the current state of Africa’s biotech and life science industry, including its present challenges, opportunities for growth, and potential solutions. Selected candidates should be able to propose, at least one solution or idea that can contribute to the growth of Africa’s bioeconmy and improve lives, if implemented.
Number of Awardees: Not specified
Value of Program: By attending the African Diaspora Biotech Summit 2017, attendees will;
- Better understand the key challenges and opportunities in Africa’s biotech and life science industry, and be better positioned to propose new ideas or solutions that can help improve agricultural productivity and food security, human health, industrial development, economic growth and environmental sustainability in African nations;
- Meet, connect and exchange knowledge and ideas with current and future African leaders and key stakeholders of Africa’s biotech and life science sector. This will facilitate collaborative relationships that can enhance efforts to build a sustainable African bioeconomy. It will also contribute to both your personal and career development;
- Be part of a solution-oriented meeting that can bring about significant and lasting change in core areas and sectors (e.g. agriculture, health care, education, the environment, etc.) that can create opportunities for employment, investment and sustained economic growth in Africa.
Summit attendees are not charged any fee to attend the Summit. However, the Summit attendees are expected to cover their travel and accommodation, which will be provided in one of the finest Colleges in Cambridge University. The cost for a single room is £45 per night, and this includes breakfast and Wi-Fi. For more information, please contact us at
Duration of Program: Tuesday, 4th April 2017 (24 hours)
Award Provider: JR Biotek Foundation