The National Association of Black Journalist’s (NABJ) Sports Task Force established Larry Whiteside Scholarship in Mr. Whiteside’s honor. Undergraduate or graduate students are eligible to apply for the scholarship program. The scholarship provides financial assistance to journalism students who are interested in sports journalism. One winner will be selected to get $5000 scholarship award.
The National Association of Black Journalists (NABJ) is an organization of journalists, students and media-related professionals that provide quality programs and services to and advocates on behalf of black journalists worldwide.
- Must major in journalism with an interest in pursuing a career in sports journalism
- Must be an undergraduate or graduate student with at least one year left in school.
- P.A. requirement: 2.5 or higher in journalism major and at least a 2.0 cumulative
How to Apply:
- The candidates can apply online through the given link: https://thenabj.wufoo.com/forms/r1artbj90gnyfyv/
- Write an essay on the topic: “Write a profile essay on a sports journalist (alive or deceased) you admire and explain why this person has inspired you to pursue a career in sports journalism.” (1,000 – 2,000 words)
- Cover letter
- Official college transcript
- Five (5) work samples
- Three (3) references
Financial Aid and Award Money:
- One winner will get a $5,000 stipend
- The winner will receive a free trip to the 2017 NABJ Convention & Career Fair in New Orleans, LA. Registration, lodging, a round-trip flight and a meals stipend will be provided
- He/She will be acknowledged during the Sports Task Force events and required to write a post-convention account of the experience
Larry Whiteside Scholarship application deadline is March 1, 2017.
For More Information CLICK HERE