Award Provider: The Bertha Foundation, Canon Collins Trust
University of Cape Town’s Graduate School of Business offers Bertha Centre scholarship for African students to study courses that advance social justice, innovation and entrepreneurship in Africa.
Eligible Fields of Study: The scholarship covers a wide variety of programmes at the UCT Graduate School of Business. These include the MBA [both full-time and the modular programme], the MPhil in Inclusive Innovation, and PhD programmes. Eligible fields also include candidates committed to advancing social justice and opportunities through social innovation and entrepreneurship.
This Scholarship is for?
The Bertha Centre scholarships are open to innovators, entrepreneurs, out-of-the-box thinkers, system-entrepreneurs, change-makers, social activists and cross-disciplinary candidates from any field provided they are actively involved in the exploration of social, environmental and/or economic justice using innovative approaches.
About the Award:
The Bertha Centre for Social Innovation and Entrepreneurship was established as a specialised unit at the UCT Graduate School of Business (GSB) in 2011, in partnership with Bertha Foundation, a family foundation that works with inspiring leaders who are catalysts for social and economic change.
Through this partnership the GSB strengthens its commitment to transformation and equality and UCT’s strategic goal to address key development challenges facing Africa.
While the Bertha Foundation supports activists, storytellers and lawyers across the world, who are working to bring about social and economic justice, and human rights for all; the Bertha Centre Scholars at the GSB are part of a larger Bertha Foundation network of “troublemakers/radical actors” whose purpose it is to challenge the status quo for social justice – in this case through social innovation and entrepreneurship.
Type: MBA or MPhil
Eligibility: An eligible candidate must
- be an African citizen (or a South African permanent resident for at least one year.)
- started or worked with a social/green/entrepreneurial innovative idea that seeks social or economic change; or
- worked on advancing social justice and pioneering inclusive opportunities through social innovation within an organisation for at least one year.
- Experience in these fields would be preferable, as well as a track record of action exploring or initiating innovative approaches in these sectors.
- Demonstrate strong leadership qualities within their field.
- Demonstrate some level of financial need for the scholarship
Value of Scholarship:
The Bertha Centre Scholarship covers full or partial costs.
31st October 2016
How to Apply:
Visit Scholarship Webpage to apply
for more information, visit Scholarship Webpage here