Annually, the University of Melbourne, Australia awards The Melbourne International Research Scholarship (MIRS) for international students to study for Master’s and PhD. In 2016 the MIRS is part of the Melbourne Research Scholarship – MRS – program.
Eligible Field of Study
- Faculty of Business & Economics
- Faculty of Medicine Dentistry & Health Sciences
- Faculty of Science
- Faculty of Veterinary Science
- Graduate School of Humanities & Social Sciences
- Melbourne Conservatorium of Music
- Melbourne Graduate School of Education
- Melbourne Law School
- Melbourne School of Design
- Melbourne School of Engineering
- Melbourne School of Information
- Victorian College of the Arts
The Melbourne Research Scholarship (MRS) was established by the University of Melbourne and is awarded to high achieving domestic and international research students. The University awards over 300 scholarships per year.
From 2016, the Melbourne International Research Scholarship (MIRS) is part of the Melbourne Research Scholarship program.
Eligibility: To be considered for the Melbourne Research Scholarship, you must:
- have applied for and meet the entry requirements for a Master or Doctorate by research degree at the University of Melbourne, or be currently enrolled in a research degree at the University of Melbourne and have at least 12 months (full-time equivalent) of candidature remaining, and
- have not already completed a research qualification at the same or higher level as the course for which a scholarship is sought.
Melbourne Research Scholarships are awarded on the basis of academic merit. Eligible applicants are scored and ranked according to their academic achievement of their last completed degree and their research potential in their field of study. Factors such as relevant professional experience, refereed publications, specialist medical qualifications or composition of original music may be taken into consideration.
Number of Scholarships: The University awards 35 scholarships per year.
Value of Scholarship: The benefits of the Melbourne Research Scholarship vary depending on your circumstance and may include one or more of the following:
- A fortnightly living allowance, a relocation allowance for students moving to Melbourne from interstate or from outside Australia, and limited paid sick, maternity and parenting leave equivalent to the Australian Postgraduate Awards benefits
- Full fee remission (international students only)
- Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) Single Membership (international students only)
Duration of Scholarship: The duration of the Melbourne Research Scholarship is two years for students undertaking a Master by research degree and three years, with a possible six month extension, for students undertaking a Doctorate by research degree.
Deadline: The University assesses applications for scholarships on an ongoing basis. For specific closing dates, please refer to the link below.
How to Apply
You must apply for this scholarship by submitting an online application for the Graduate Research Scholarships group.
Application Deadline: Scholarship applications are assessed on an ongoing basis (from January through to December). For specific closing dates, and other information, please refer to the link HERE