The Human Rights Essay Award is an annual competition that is sponsored by the Washington College of Law and it seeks to stimulate the production of scholarly work in international human rights law. Candidates, who have a law degree and have demonstrated experience or interest in international human rights law, are eligible to apply. The Academy will grant two Awards, one for the best article in English and one for the best article in Spanish. The best articles may be published in the American University International Law Review.
Washington College of Law is a top law school that provides an excellent legal education in all areas of the law. WCL has renowned programs in experiential learning (clinics and externships), international law, law and government, intellectual property, business, and gender.
Candidates must hold a law degree and have demonstrated experience or interest in international human rights law, to be considered for the essay contest.
How to Apply:
- To be considered for the award, the candidates must write an essay
- Participants have the flexibility to choose any subject related to the assigned topic. The essay has to be a legal article.2017 Essay topic is: Emerging Challenge in the relationship between International humanitarian law and International human rights law.
• Articles must not exceed 35 pages in length, including footnotes.
• Essays must use Times New Roman font, 12-point double-spaced for the body of the essay and 10-point single-spaced for footnotes.
• All essays must be on letter size paper (8.5 x 11 inches/21.59 x 27.94 cm) with 1 inch (2.54 cm) margins all around.
• Character spacing must be set to normal.
• Authors should not put their name or any identifying information in their essays.
• Essays will only be accepted in Word format
• Any essay that does not follow the guidelines will be reformatted and 5 points will be taken off. If the essay is longer than 35 pages, it will be automatically disqualified.
• The essay has to be a legal article, therefore, it will include foot pages and citations. The absence of those will cause that the essay will be disqualified.
Each participant must also include curriculum vitae of no more than three pages in length explaining the experience or interest of the author in human rights issues.
• You should submit your essay through the on-line application form. The link is:https://www.wcl.american.edu/hracademy/hressayaward/form.cfm?lang=en
• Submit the CV as a separate file from your paper
The Academy will grant two Awards, one for the best article in English and one for the best article in Spanish. The Award in each case will consist of:
• A full scholarship to the Program of Advanced Studies on Human Rights and Humanitarian Law for either the Diploma or Certificate of Attendance options
• Travel expenses to and from Washington D.C.
• Housing at the University dorms
• Per diem for living expenses
The deadline to submit articles is February 1, 2017, at 11:59 p.m. E.S.T. No essays will be accepted after this time.
for more Information, Visit the Official Webpage HERE